The WIP version is available in git.
History For AdvanceMAME/MESS
AdvanceMAME Version 1.2 2012/12
- Fixed compilation with modern compilers.
- Fixed the "alsa" audio driver in Linux. In modern distributions it was generating no sound.
- Fixed a crash at exit when SMP is enabled.
- Added a new option display_magnifysize to define the area to target with display_magnify auto.
- Renamed the 'scale' video effect to 'scalex'.
- Added the new 'xbr' video scaling effect. Better than 'hq'.
- Added the new 'scalek' video effect. Better than 'scalex' and faster than 'xbr'.
- If display_resizeeffect is auto, the default effect is now 'xbr', but it's decreased at runtime to 'scalek', or 'scalex' if speed is required.
- Removed blitting cache optimization. With modern caches it's not needed anymore.
- Changed default doc/man dirs to prefix/doc and prefix/man.
- Now in git repository.
- Removed DLL files from the Windows distribution. New new compiler uses static libraries.
- Compiled with SDL-1.2.14, zlib-1.2.5, expat-2.0.1, freetype-2.4.4, pthreads-w32-2-8-0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.106.1 2008/12
- Fixed the black screen bug with paletteized games.
- Fixed the computation of the font size of the menu for vertical games.
- Added support for 'lq' and 'hq' resize mode using the 'overlay' output mode.
- Added support for 'scanline' effects using the 'overlay' output mode.
- Improved the cache locality of the blitting algorithm. Not it operates on segments of row, processing one segment up to the final stage before processing the next one.
- The default output mode in Windows and X is now 'overlay'.
- The default resize effect is now 'fractional' instead of 'integer'.
- The 'overlaysize' option now has the default 'auto' which uses the current video mode.
- New Windows icon at high resolution.
- Ignored WINKEYS in Windows if input_hotkey is set.
- The SDL library now force the video driver 'directx' as default. Required because from SDL 1.2.10 the default is the slow 'windib'.
- Windows binary is provided with SDL.dll 1.2.13.
- Added multithread support for Windows using the pthread-win32 library.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.106.0 2006/06
- Based on MAME 0.106
AdvanceMAME Version 0.104.0 2006/02
- Based on MAME 0.104
AdvanceMAME Version 0.102.1 2005/12
- Added in the `contrib' directory a test version of cwsdpmi
AdvanceMESS Version 0.102.0.1 2005/12
- Fixed the loading of image files.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.102.0 2005/12
- Fixed some bugs for the 64 bits platforms. It works now.
- Fixed a problem mapping the video memory in the Linux FrambeBuffer driver.
- Fixed the conditional compilation of the advv and advcfg utilities.
- Updated zlib to version 1.2.3.
- Fixed some keyboard input issues with the text mode utilities in Windows.
- Added leds support at the `raw' and `event' keyboard linux drivers.
- Fixed the `uninstall' make target.
- Increased the max number of joystick buttons to 64.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.102.0.0 2005/12
- Based on AdvanceMAME 0.102.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.101.0 2005/10
- Fixed the crash problem without the -quiet option.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.100.0 2005/10
- Fixed the recognition of the ActLabs guns in the Linux version.
- Removed the `misc_historyfile' and `misc_infofile' like the official version.
- Updated the FAQ [Mikkel Holm Olsen].
AdvanceMESS Version 0.99.0.0 2005/08
- Based on AdvanceMAME 0.99.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.99.0 2005/08
- Based on MAME 0.99
AdvanceMAME Version 0.97.0 2005/06
- Improved the precision of all the joystick drivers. Now a scale of 65536 values is used.
- Added support for multiple lightgun in Windows XP using the new `lgrawinput' joystick driver.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.96.0.0 2005/05
- Based on MAME 0.96 and AdvanceMAME 0.96.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.96.0 2005/05
- Improved the support for low clocks of the SVGALIB nVidia driver for DOS and Windows.
- Readded in the DOS and Windows version the old SVGALIB drivers for GeForce and Savage boards. If you have problem with the new driver you can still use the old ones with the names "savage_leg" and "nv3_leg".
- The `advv' and `advcfg' utilities are now compiled and installed only if needed.
- Fixed the detection of the new `unichrome' driver in DOS.
- Added support for multiple mice in Windows XP using the new `rawinput' mouse driver.
- Added support for multiple mice in Windows 2000 using the new `cpn' mouse driver.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.95.0.0 2005/04
- Based on MAME 0.95 and AdvanceMAME 0.95.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.95.0 2005/04
- Based on MAME 0.95
- The `event' and `raw' mouse driver are now enabled in X. The default choice is for the `sdl' driver but you can force another driver if you want.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.94.0.0 2005/03
- Based on MAME 0.94 and AdvanceMAME 0.94.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.94.0 2005/03
- The install target now create the bin/ directory if it's missing.
- Updated to SVGALIB 1.9.20. This add support for the most recent Radeon and nVidia boards at the DOS version.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.92.1 2005/02
- Fixed the recognition of the `sync_resample' option. If you notify sound problem try setting `sync_resample emulation' in your configuration file.
- In the `integer' and `mixed' modes, the integers magnification factors are chosen to ensure that the complete image is displayed.
- Based on MAME 0.92u2000.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.92.0.0 2005/02
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.92.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.92.0 2005/02
- Added a new `system()' script function to execute a shell script.
- Improved the behaviour of the analog input. You can now use both the keyboard and the joystick at the same time.
- Enabled as default the use of the joystick and mouse. The `device_joystick' and `device_mouse' options have now the `auto' value as default.
- Fixed the AC97 DOS audio driver.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.90.0 2005/01
- Fixed the recognition of some USB mouses and keyboards with the Linux event driver.
- The USB devices in Linux now have always the same order in the input_map specifications.
- Added a SVGALIB patch to fix the compilation with Linux Kernel 2.6 when you get the warning of missing "pci_find_class" function.
- Added the missing control code `ui_edit_cheat' and `ui_toggle_crosshair'.
- The linux keyboard event driver now recognize the special CTRL+C keypress.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.89.0 2004/12
- Added a ncurses driver for text mode in Linux.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.89.0.0 2004/12
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.89.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.88.0 2004/11
- Improved the timer precision in the Windows version.
- Added support for scaling bitmapped fonts by an integer factor.
- Added support at the Linux keyboard `event' driver to disable the hotkeys like CTRL+C and ALT+Fx.
- Removed the generic requirement of the C++ compiler. It's now required only if you change the documentation.
- Fixed the user interface in overlay video modes.
- Added new configuration sections which allow to select different options based on the input device type. The new sections are named: `joy4way', `joy8way', `doublejoy4way', `doublejoy8way', `paddle', `dial', `trackball', `stick', `lightgun', `mouse'.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.88.0.0 2004/11
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.88.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.87.0 2004/09
- Added support for translucency in the user interface with the `ui_translucency' option.
- Added a new `device_video_clock' option which substitutes the old `device_video_p/h/vclock'. This allows a more complete specification of the allowed clocks if you use a multistandard arcade monitor.
- The `x', `xclock' and `generate_*' modes of the `display_adjust' option now set a different horizontal resolution if the current resize mode doesn't allow a fractional vertical stretch. This always ensures a correct aspect ratio if you use the `none' and `integer' resize modes.
- Improved the support for multiple input device. You should be now able to use a mouse and a joystick at the same time for the same player.
- Fixed a library creation problem in MacOS X.
- Fixed some issues using `not' input sequence in the .rc file.
- Now if you unplug a input controller the settings in the .rc file are not removed.
- Fixed the `input_name' option [wpcmame].
AdvanceMAME Version 0.86.0 2004/09
- Added an audio spectrum analyzer in the "Audio" menu.
- The sound normalization now uses the Fletcher-Munson "Equal Loudness Curve" at 80 dB to remove inaudible frequencies. The sound power is now also increased if required.
- Fixed the compilation of the chdman utility.
- Fixed the joystick recognition with some low level drivers.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.86.0.0 2004/09
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.86.0.
- Fixed the recognition of the `Start' and `Select' buttons.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.85.0 2004/08
- The modeline generation now always use horizontal values which are multiplier of 16 to solve memory corruption problems on some video cards.
- Fixed a crash bug on vector games with artwork.
- Added the `ui_color[*]' options to customize the user interface colors.
- Added the `sound_adjust' option with an internal database with the volume correction for all the games.
- Added a sound equalizer with the new `sound_equalizer' options.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.85.0.0 2004/08
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.85.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.84.0 2004/07
- Added a new rand(N) function at the scripts.
- Added a new `misc_hiscorefile' to specify a different name of the hiscore.dat file.
- Fixed the advfg utility to found always a valid text modeline.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.83.1 2004/07
- Enabled the MIPS dynamic recompilation in DOS and Windows.
- On Linux you can now specify relative directories in the `dir_*' options.
- Fixed some problems enabling and disabling SMP at runtime.
- Revised the `install' documentation file and the `video links' section of the web site.
- Added the `misc_lang' option to select the game language.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.83.0.1 2004/06
- The input port customizations are now saved for the current software only.
- Fixed some issues saving options with software containing spaces in the name.
- Fixed input saving for `coleco' system.
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.83.1.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.83.0 2004/06
- Added the option "ui_speedmark" to enable or disable the on-screen speed red mark.
- Fixed the option "sync_startuptime 0".
- Added volume control at the `oss' audio driver.
- Added support for the `mprotect' os call to allow execution of MIPS DRC also on systems with memory protected from execution.
- Fixed the use of fgetc_unlocked() on Mac OS X 10.3.
- Upgraded the DOS/Windows SVGALIB drivers at version 1.9.19.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.83.0.0 2004/06
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.83.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.82.0 2004/05
- Added a new "Startup End" key (minus on numeric pad) to store in the configuration file the startuptime required for the current game. Simply press it when the game start.
- The `sync_startuptime' now has an `auto' value which use an internal table to select the correct startup time.
- The sound normalization is now computed using the normalized power of the audio and not the maximum value.
- Added a new option `misc_freeplay' to enable the freeplay mode changing the game dipswitches.
- Added a new option `misc_mutedemo' to mute the sound on game demo.
- Improved the audio/video synchronization. It should fixes the problems on system which are not able to return the correct number of samples in the audio board buffer.
- The `sync_resample' default value is now set to use internal re-sampling.
- Fixed the loading of .rc files from the /etc directory.
- Improved the loading speed of the history/mameinfo databases in Linux using the unlocked file API.
- The history/mameinfo text is now wrapped to fit the whole screen.
- Added a new `device_alsa_mixer' option to control the sound mixing. The default is to use an internal mixer to change the volume.
- Documented in the `advdev.txt' file how use the ALSA `dmix' plug for a software mixing from multiple programs.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.81.0.1 2004/05
- The customization of keyboard ports are now saved in the .rc file as input_map[key_*] options.
- Added the MESS sysinfo.dat file in the distribution and fixed its loading.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.81.1 2004/04
- In Linux the hardware ports are always accessed directly if the program is run as root. Otherwise is used the /dev/port interface.
- Removed the green bars when using the video overlay.
- Added support for recent Radeon boards 9600/9700/9800 at the DOS version.
- Fixed the MNG recording.
- The `input_dipswitch[difficulty]' option now always override the `misc_difficulty' option.
- Added a new `device_alsa_device' option to select the ALSA output device.
- Removed the initial audio tick with the ALSA and OSS drivers.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.81.0.0 2004/04
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.81.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.81.0 2004/04
AdvanceMESS Version 0.80.0.0 2004/03
- You can now specify configuration options for a single software using the format `SYSTEM[SOFTWARE]/OPTION' in the configuration file. Like `ti99_4a[ti-inva]/display_magnify auto'.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.80.0 2004/03
- The 16 bits rgb color mode is now used as default also if the game has less than 256 colors. Previously the 8 bits palette color mode was used.
- Added new configuration sections based on the number of the players in the game using the format `Nplayer/OPTION'. Like `1player/input_map[p1_button1] lshift'
- Added new effects `scale2x3', `scale2x4', `lq2x3', `lq2x4', `hq2x3', `hq2x4'.
- Added support for TrueType (TTF) fonts with alpha blending using the FreeType2 library. Added also a new `ui_fontsize' option to select the font size and a collection of TTF fonts in the `contrib/' dir
- Renamed the `input_map[double*_*]' options as `input_map[p1_double*_*]' to allow different player specifications [Shane Warren].
AdvanceMESS Version 0.79.0.0 2004/02
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.79.1 and MESS 0.79.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.79.1 2004/02
- Added a new revision of the `scale3x' effect. It now looks good as `scale2x'. Added also a new optimized C version of the `scale2x' effect for not x86 MMX architectures.
- The `max' effect now works also in vertical and horizontal expansion.
- Fixed some compilation problems on Mac OS X.
- General improvement of the video blit speed. The program now evaluates at runtime the best approach to write video memory. Or direct or buffered writing.
- Improved the speed of the `lq', `hq', `mean' and `filter' effects using a different method to compute mean pixels.
- The `Video Pipeline' menu now display the time used to update the screen.
- Fixed the display of help tags of players 2, 3, 4.
- Fixed the use of palette 8 bit modes with the FrameBuffer Linux drivers.
- Added a workaround to correct the color in the 15 bit RGB modes for the Radeon FrameBuffer Linux 2.4.23 driver.
- Fixed a memory leak in the DOS SVGALIB Riva/Radeon driver which caused a crash after some video mode changes at runtime.
- The C 68000 emulator is now used as default. You can revert back to the assembler version with the --enable-asm-68000 configure switch. A similar --enable-asm-mips3 switch is present for the MIPS3 assembler emulator.
- The default host configuration directory is now /usr/local/etc if you install in /usr/local.
- The default documentation directory is now /usr/local/share/doc/advance if you install in /usr/local.
- The autoconf defines are now stored in a header file and not in the compiler command line.
- The debugger now always use the new `max' effect. It also forces the video mode to be `rgb' to remove any palette problem.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.79.0 2004/02
- Added LCD support at the Linux version using the lcdproc library. You can now display arbitrary messages on the LCD using the "lcd" command on the scripts.
- Added the `device_svgawin_skipboard' and `device_svgaline_skipboard' options to control which video board to use in Windows and DOS in case you have more than one video board on the system.
- To compile in DOS/Window now you must use the `Makefile.usr' file.
- Fixed a problem when converting old options name to the new values. The conversion was failing if more than one conversion was required.
- Splitted the big source file blit.c in small parts. This should reduce the memory requirement when compiling.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.78.1 2004/01
- Fixed the audio surround enabled with the "sound_mode surround" option. Now you should not hear audio statics anymore.
- Renamed the options `misc_fps', `misc_speed', `misc_turbospeed' and `misc_startuptime' in `sync_fps', `sync_speed', `sync_turbospeed' and `sync_startuptime'.
- Partially reverted back to using the MAME sound generation instead of the internal resampling. You can switch to the internal resampling using the `sync_resample' option.
- The dipswitchs named "Unknown" and "Unused" are never saved.
- The long text lines of scroll windows are now wrapped if required.
- Added in the contrib dir a patch for "linux/fb.h" for compiling the Frame Buffer support on the Linux Kernel 2.6.0.
- Added the "log" and "msg" commands at the scripts and fixed the "event(EVENT)" and "get(PORT)" commands.
- The `dipswitch' and `configswitch' options in the .rc file are now saved only one time.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.78.0.1 2004/01
- Fixed the storing of the `Start' and `Select' input.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.78.0 2004/01
- Added a new `help' button which display an arbitrary image with the player buttons highlighted. You can customize the image and the keys/buttons highlight with the options `ui_helptag' and `ui_helpimage'. The default key is F1.
- Added a new `cocktail' button which flip the game screen for a cocktail monitor. The default key is the slash on the keypad.
- A new MAME like user interface completely independent of the MAME core. This interface doesn't have applied the same video effects of the game, it isn't limited on the game area, it isn't recorded on video clips and you can customize the font.
- Removed the .cfg file support. All the input customizations are now saved in the .rc file.
- The frame skipping algorithm try now to get the correct speed of the game also if it imply a waste of CPU time.
- Fixed the screen position on games with a moving display area. For example invaders in cocktail mode.
- The exit menu is always displayed if the `safequit' function is enabled and the `event.dat' file is missing or it doesn't contain information of the game. You can disable it with the option `misc_safequit no'.
- The DOS version should now restore correctly the video mode at the program exit.
- Fixed the mouse support with the SVGALIB driver.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.78.0.0 2004/01
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.78.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.77.2 2003/12
- Games with unemulated protection are now reported as not working. For example Choplifter.
- The DOS version now automatically disable any BIOS call on ATI boards to prevent problems on broken video BIOS.
- Improved the frame synchronization algorithm. It uses less CPU power if the operating system have a fine sleep granularity like Linux 2.6.x.
- Reverted back the S3 Savage/Virge/Trio SVGALIB driver at version 1.9.17. At least with S3 VirgeDX there is a regression in version 1.9.18.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.77.1 2003/12
- The audio/video synchronization is now done by AdvanceMAME without using the internal MAME core support. This should solve all the sound distortion problems present in some game and all the input recording desynchronizations.
- The `display_interlaceffect' option has now a new `filter' value which operates like the old `filtery' effect.
- The configuration options are also read in the parent game and bios sections.
- Fixed a segmentation fault bug on the DOS SVGALIB driver for ATI Rage boards.
- The description of the AdvanceMAME device drivers is now in the `advdev.txt' file and it's installed as a man page in the Linux systems.
- The `display_magnify' option is now disabled for vector games.
- Fixed some problems running vector games with a window manager.
- The `zoom' value of the `device_video_output' option is now named `overlay'.
- Added a new `input_name' option to customize the input names displayed in the menus [Martin Adrian].
- Added a new `display_pausebrightness' option to control the display brightness when paused [Martin Adrian].
- The Linux version should now found the slang.h file also if it's in include/ and not in include/slang/.
- The `keyboard' option now accepts numerical scancode in the form `scanN'.
- Fixed a compilation problem with the most recent ALSA library (version 1.0.0rc2).
- If an old (1.4.x) SVGALIB version is installed the program doesn't abort.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.77.0 2003/11
- Added support for ACT Labs Lightgun in the Linux event driver.
- Fixed the order of the joystick buttons on the Linux event driver.
- Fixed the joystick dead zone management on the Linux event driver.
- Fixed an overflow problem in the YUV C conversion (used only if MMX was not available).
- Updated the hq2x effect to the last official version.
- Fixed a crash bug on the `mean' and `max' effects.
- The `mean' and `max' effects now work also in the horizontal direction.
- Removed the `filterx' and `filtery' effects.
- In the DOS version removed the legacy support for unchained VGA modes (8 bit modes with memory in 4 planes) and the VBE1 banked modes (not linear modes).
- Autoframeskip is automatically disabled if the correct game speed is impossible to reach.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.76.0 2003/10
- Fixed a computation error in the `hq2/3/4x' effects.
- Fixed a bug on the `mean' effect introduced in the last version.
- Upgraded the DOS/Windows SVGALIB drivers at version 1.9.18.
- The harddisk differential image .dif file are now created in memory if the access on the filesystem is denied.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.74.1 2003/09
- Added the effects `lq4x' and `hq4x'. The `hq2x' and `hq3x' versions are now exactly like the original effects.
- The effects names `scale2/3/4x', `lq2/3/4x' and `hq2/3/4x' are now unified in `scale', `lq' and `hq'. The correct scale factor if automatically detected from the video mode size.
- Updated the `vsync/ac97' audio driver for VIA VT823x built in AC97 audio [Shigeaki Sakamaki].
- Fixed the `advv' utility to display and use all the available default modelines.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.74.0.0 2003/09
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.74.1.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.74.0 2003/09
- Added a bunch of new video effects: `lq2x', `hq2x', `lq3x' and `hq3x'. They are interpolation effects. Slower than `scale2x' but with a nicer image. They are derived from the HQ3X effect made by Maxim Stepin.
- The Linux fb video driver is now able to wait for vsync also if the low-end driver doesn't support this feature. You must run the program as root.
- Increased the number of supported event [Filipe Estima].
- Fixed support for SiS boards 530/630/730 in the DOS vbeline/sis driver.
- Revised the list of supported cards.
- Removed the `display_rotate' option.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.73.0 2003/09
- Fixed some problems on the SDL keyboard driver in the Windows version.
- Added a preliminary support for newer Radeon boards for the DOS version.
- The Linux version now works also if it cannot read the tty state.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.73.0.0 2003/09
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.73.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.72.0 2003/09
- Added a new option `sound_normalize' which automatically increase the volume of games with a too lower one. It's enabled by default.
- Added a new `include' option to include additionally configuration files.
- The `display_magnify' option has now a new `auto' setting which automatically scale the game if it's too small.
- Added a new set of Linux `event' input driver for keyboards, mice and joysticks based on the Linux input-event interfaces. These drivers remove any limitations on the number of keyboards, mice and joysticks.
- The `input_map' option now accepts the `auto' setting which is able to map the correct input device on the correct game control.
- The `input_map' option now can remap also all the digital inputs like keys, buttons and digital joystick.
- Improved the advk, advj and advm utilities. They now report more information on the hardware found.
- Revised the `safequit' system. The database file is now called `event.dat' and it has a strong error check. The options are now named `misc_eventdebug' and `misc_eventfile'. A new set of scripts `safequit' and `event1,2,3,4,5,6' are now started when triggered by the event system.
- Renamed the script names removing the  in the names.
- The Linux keyboard `raw' driver has now a basic support to switch virtual terminal pressing ALT+Fx.
- Added a new Linux `raw' joystick driver.
- Substituted the Linux input driver `slang' with a new `tty' driver which always works correctly with the advv and advcfg utility. Specifically it works when using the `fb' video driver.
- In Linux the host configuration files are now read in /etc.
- The `-version' option now lists the low level drivers compiled in the executable.
- The Linux version can now access hardware ports in scripts using the /dev/port interface.
- Reduced the CPU cache usage in the palette conversion.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.72.0.0 2003/09
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.72.0.
- The specific AdvanceMAME keys are now disabled in the full keyboard emulation like any other MAME key.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.71.1 2003/07
- Added a new mouse driver for Linux which supports up to 4 mice at the same time.
- Partially fixed some problems on games that need to change the display area at runtime like "orunners".
- Added the `misc_fps' option to change arbitrarily the frame rate of the games (like SmoothMAME).
AdvanceMESS Version 0.71.0.0 2003/07
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.71.0.
- Added the `misc_ramsize' option.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.71.0 2003/07
- Added the volume control at the SDL sound driver. It's implemented reducing the sample values and not using the hardware volume control.
- Fixed a possible bug on the SVGALIB Rage 128/Radeon drivers. Also updated the SVGALIB patch in the contrib/ dir.
- The information on the supported drivers is now in the device.txt file.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.70.0 2003/06
- Added some patches for Linux 2.4.20 Frame Buffer for ATI Radeon and nVidia GeForce boards to improve the support of low clock video modes.
- Added some patches for SVGALIB 1.9.17 for Trident and nVidia GeForce boards to improve the support of low clock video modes. These patches are integrated in the DOS and Windows SVGALIB versions.
- Fixed the sound recording broken in version 0.68.0.
- The MAME sound emulation is activated also if the "none" sound device is chosen.
- The SIGPIPE signal is no more redirected.
- The SIGHUP signal now quits the program without aborting.
- Reduced the sound buffer length for the ALSA driver.
- Removed the legacy support for the "mame.cfg" configuration file.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.69.0 2003/05
- Fixed the horizontal and vertical sync polarity on the Linux Framebuffer video driver [Ralph]
- Added a new preliminary -listxml option.
- Fixed the output of all the floating point values in configuration files for the DOS version.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.68.0 2003/05
- Added the `scale3x' and `scale4x' effects.
- Added support for Mac OS X. It compiles and run with the SDL library.
- Added support for generic BigEndian targets.
- The `magnify' option now accepts the input values 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The `display_adjust' value `generate' is now renamed `generate_yclock'. A bunch of new `generate_*' values are available for a fine control on the generated modes.
- In Linux you can specify an arbitrary data directory with the $ADVANCE environment variable. This value overwrites the default $HOME/.advance.
- Added the "-version" command line option.
- Removed some "buffer overflow".
- Fixed the mouse handling in Linux with the SVGALIB library [Fabio Cavallo].
- Fixed some minor problems in the `configure' script.
- Added the `device_video_zoom' option to control the size of screen mode used with the `zoom' output mode.
- Some fixes for the gcc 3.3 compiler.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.67.0 2003/04
- Updated with autoconf 2.57.
- The error messages are printed also if `misc_quiet' is specified.
- The configure script now checks if the MAME/MESS emulator source are missing.
- Added in the contrib/ dir the "Quick guide to find safequit data" [Filipe Estima].
AdvanceMESS Version 0.66.0.0 2003/04
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.67.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.66.0 2003/03
- The display_scanlines option is now off as default. The `generate-scanline' video modes are now created only if display_scanlines is active at the startup.
- Minor changes at the video menu.
- Fixed the `-playback' command.
- Fixed the slowdown problem reading .dat files.
- Added automatic detection of Linux Frame Buffer capabilities.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.65.0 2003/02
- Fixed the CPU detection by the configure script.
- The Linux ALSA sound drivers now doesn't block the execution if the DSP is already in use.
- Fixed the Linux Frame Buffer driver when a DIRECTCOLOR mode is used displaying fuzzy colors.
- Added some patches for the Linux SVGALIB in the contrib/ dir.
- Added a new `device_video_cursor' option to control the visibility of the mouse cursor.
- Minor fix computing the size of double sized modes.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.64.0.0 2003/02
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.65.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.63.0 2003/01
- Added the ALSA sound driver for Linux. It's now the preferred choice over OSS.
- Fixed another bug in the ./configure script if the SDL library is missing.
- The sound latency is now automatically increased if the game requires a big frame skip.
- The auto frameskip is now optimized to minimize the idle waiting time instead of getting a 100% speed.
- Added the `display_artwork_backdrop/overlay/bezel' option to control any artwork types.
- Added the `misc_difficulty' option to select the game difficulty from the command line.
- The `misc_quiet' option now also disable the NO GOOD DUMP messages.
- The SVGALIB `banshee' driver in Linux now doesn't tries to use 16 bit video modes. They are not working.
- The `misc_quiet' options, if activated, skips also the graphics information screens.
- If the doublescan modes are disabled, a mode with a double vertical size is automatically used instead.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.62.2 2002/12
- Added a new raw keyboard driver for Linux [Kari Hautio].
- Changed the yield behavior on high system load. Now the yield operation is done before the synchronization point. It should reduce the effective system load.
- Fixed some issues in the ./configure scripts.
- Removed the blinking cursor in the Linux `fb' video driver [Kari Hautio].
- Added support for YUV overlay in the SDL driver with a new zoom mode. With this driver the image is zoomed by the video board. Check the new `device_video_mode' option.
- Upgraded at the SVGALIB 1.9.17 library.
- Fixed a bug on exit with a multiprocessor system.
- Added a new `sound_mode' option which replaces the old `sound_stereo'. It also support a (fake) `surround' effect.
- The `advcfg' utility now uses the user and system list of modelines if the device_video_p/h/vclock option is present.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.62.0.0 2002/12
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.62.2.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.62.1 2002/11
- Fixed the abort bug on the DOS and Windows versions for the SVGALIB Rage 128/Radeon video boards and probably others.
- Some fixes for the `.chd' games.
- Fixed the palette management of the cojag games.
- The DOS `vbeline' and `vbe' drivers now correctly detect the absence of some bit depths.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.61.2.1 2002/11
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.62.1.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.62.0 2002/11
- The Windows SVGAWIN driver now use the framebuffer reported by Windows if the Windows SVGALIB isn't able to get it. This fixes the crash problem with the Cirrus Laguna boards and probably others.
- Updated the Windows SVGAWIN.SYS driver to the 1.1 version.
- Added the `display_aspectx' and `display_aspecty' to arbitrary selects the aspect ratio of the monitor used.
- Fixed a slowdown bug on the SVGALIB video board detection.
- Fixed a bug on the DOS/Windows SVGALIB Radeon driver. It should help with the video modes at lower frequency generally used in Arcade Monitors and TVs.
- Fixed a bug on the SDL sound management. It should help the interaction of AdvanceMENU and AdvanceMAME.
- Better error reporting on the DOS/Windows SVGALIB drivers.
- The Windows binary is now packaged with the SDL dll 1.2.5
- The `display_adjust' option is now ignored if the video driver is not programmable.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.61.2 2002/11
- The MESS threads are now used only if the SMP runtime option is activated. Previously on a SMP compile the threads was always used.
- All from MESS 0.61.2.
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.62.0.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.61.4 2002/11
- Merged the sdl and native system of the Linux target. You can now mix the SDL input/output drivers with the native drivers.
- Better ./configure script. It detects and automatically enables all the available libraries.
- The configuration file now recognizes the SIZEXxSIZEYxFREQ section.
- Fixed a precision error checking the clock in the DOS vgaline driver.
- Removed the limitation of 8 bit crtc multiplier in the DOS vgaline driver.
- Revised the SVGALIB DOS compatibility layer. Some bugs fixed.
- Added the support for the SVGALIB video drivers in Windows NT/2000/XP.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.61.1 2002/11
- Fixed the name of the .nv files
- All from MESS 0.61.1.
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.61.4.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.61.3 2002/09
- Fixed the window title and the icon in the sdl system.
- In Windows the default sdl samples buffer is now 2048. This solve the distorted sound.
- Added the new option `display_interlaceeffect' to help with some broken monitors which need to swap the video rows in interlaced modes.
- Uppercase names of games in the command line are accepted.
- Improved the advcfg error management.
- Added the `cost' doc.
- Revised the video section of the `faq' doc.
- The `display_vsync' option is now enabled as default.
- Added the support of the VSyncMAME audio drivers. This add support for the AC97 chipset [Shigeaki Sakamaki].
- Fixed a bug in the 68k emulator in the Windows port.
- Removed the compression of all the executables, and added a little debug info on the precompiled binaries. This should help the problem reporting.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.61.0 2002/09
- Fixed the window title and the icon in the sdl system.
- In Windows the default sdl samples buffer is now 2048. This solve the distorted sound.
- Added the new option `display_interlaceeffect' to help with some broken monitors which need to swap the video rows in interlaced modes.
- Uppercase names of games in the command line are accepted.
- Improved the advcfg error management.
- Added the `cost' doc.
- All from AdvanceMAME 0.61.2
AdvanceMAME Version 0.61.2 2002/09
- Added the `sdl' system which uses the libSDL graphics library. This system enable the use of the program in a Window Manager. But it isn't a good choice for a fullscreen use of the program because it can't generate `perfect' video mode.
- Added the HOST_SYSTEM section in the makefile.
- Added the `windows' target in the Makefile. It use the `sdl' system.
- Added the `device_sdl_fullscreen' option to force the use of a fullscreen mode with the SDL library.
- Readded the basic `vbe' driver.
- Added the MMX detection in the linux and windows targets. Previously the MMX presence was assumed.
- Splitted the `input_map[,trak]' option in the input_map[,trakx] and `input_map[,traky]' options. Now you can assign different axes from different mice.
- The `input_map' option now supports multiple input sources and eventually allow to negate them.
- Renamed the option `misc_language' to `misc_languagefile'.
- Fixed the saving of the cheats.
- Documented the various `misc_*file' options.
- Removed the `zmng' utility from the contrib dir. It's now included in the AdvanceSCAN package.
- Renamed the `input_safeexit' option to `misc_safequit' and added the options `misc_safequitdebug' and `misc_safequitfile'. The SafeQuit is now enabled by default.
- Revised the output format of all the documentation. Now it's available as formatted text, html and man pages.
- Fixed an overflow bug on the aspect computation. It prevented "Elevator Action" to run.
- Fixed the "Division by Zero" crash bug with the Rage128 board in the DOS svgaline driver.
- Upgraded at the SVGALIB 1.9.16 library.
- Readded the `-playback' and `-record' command line options.
- Added a `./configure' script in all the Linux distributions.
- Fixed the detection of the screen resize keys in the advcfg and advv utility in the Linux platform. The keys are now changed to 'i' and 'k'.
- Added the options `device_video_8bit', `device_video_15bit', `device_video_16bit', `device_video_32bit' to selectively disable some bit depths on the video drivers.
- Fixed the colors on the snapshots of games with a 32 color depth.
- Various fix at the `advcfg' utility.
- Various bug fixed.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.61.1 2002/07
- Fixed a stupid bug on some neogeo games.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.61.0 2002/07
- Removed the input_analog and input_track options. They are now substituted by the new input_map option.
- Upgraded at the SVGALIB 1.9.15 library.
- Added the `vertical' and `horizontal' sections on the config file. With these sections you can have different configuration for vertical and horizontal games. If you have a rotating monitor, you can now always configure the correct orientation.
- The `display_rotate auto' option now selects always the `blit' rotation. The reason of this change is that the `core' rotation will be completely removed on the next MAME version (0.62). On monoprocessor machines this may result in a sensible slowdown on some games. Instead, on SMP (multiprocessor) machines all these games are now faster because the rotation is done in the parallel blit thread.
- Fixed the joystick problem with more than 8 buttons [Anthony D. Saxton (las_vegas)].
- Added the `display_intensity' option.
- Added the `display_artwork_crop' option.
- Fixed the `display_expand' option for the vertical vector games.
- Prevented the use on the NT platform.
- Added some new MMX blitters to speedup the blit rotation.
- In the Linux version if the HOME environment variable is not set all the files are read and written on the PREFIX/share/advance directory.
- Fixed a bug when forcing the use of the vbeline/3dfx driver.
- Enabled the interlaced modes with the 3dfx svgalib driver.
- Minor bugfix.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.60.1 2002/05
- Fixed the MNG recording for some games.
- Added the input_hotkey option to disable the special key sequences like CTRL+ALT+DEL.
- Fixed the rgb 16pix effect on 32 bit modes.
- Disabled the pause key. It should not be used.
- The advs utility now prevent the keyboard buffer to be filled.
- Added a new `License' chapter at the faq.txt file.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.60.0 2002/05
- Upgraded at the SVGALIB 1.9.14 library.
- Solved a video mode restore problem with the vbeline drivers.
- After unpausing the idle exit timeout is now reset.
- Fixed the idle_exit timing on Linux.
- Fixed the size of vector games when a custom mode is specified with the display mode option.
- Other minor bugfix.
AdvancePAC Version 0.58.0 2002/04
- Added the PacMAME target at AdvanceMAME.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.59.1 2002/04
- Upgraded at the SVGALIB 1.9.13 library.
- Upgraded at the Allegro 4.01 library.
- Fixed some issues if no sound card is present.
- Fixed a bug in the blit rotation.
- Updated the list of the games which require the blit rotation for the auto option.
- Fixed the use of gamma and brightness on the rgb games.
- The precision of the frame rate of the generated MNG files is now always at least 1:1000000.
- The `mng' recording now can be started and stopped also during the pause.
- The `script_play' option now works also if `misc_startuptime' is 0.
- Fixed some issues on the directory paths.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.59.0 2002/03
- Added the option "-r" at the zmng utility. This fixes the bug when compressing 24 bit image which cannot be converted to 8 bit.
- Added the device_video_singlescan/doublescan/interlace options to disable the use of some mode types.
- Rewritten the `vgaline' DOS driver. Now it never uses the BIOS to set the video mode.
- The MNG files now use the FRAME chuck to specify a precise timing.
- Added the `misc_quiet' option to disable the text message : "AdvanceMAME - Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by..."
- Fixed some imprecision on the image stretch.
- Completed the color conversion functions.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.58.1 2002/03
- Fixed the clock values printed on the first line of the video menu.
- Changed the behavior of the "display_adjust x" option. Now all the modes are adjusted in size, not only the nearest mode.
- Faster `scale2x' effect. Now optimized for AGP bus.
- Fixed the video and sound recording for the SMP machine.
- The .mng and .wav file are now saved always with the same basename.
- Fixed the selection of the video mode with the nearest clock.
- The idleexit feature now detect also the joystick and mouse use.
- MMX implementation of some functions of the tilemap engine.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.58.0 2002/02
- Added the video recording feature in `.mng' files.
- Added the `record_sound', `record_sound_time', `record_video', `record_video_time', `record_video_interleave' options.
- Added the `zmng' compression utility in the contrib/zmng dir.
- When recording, the sound is now generated ignoring the synchronization issues to get a perfect sound also with games with a very high frame skip.
- Now you can record sound and video without any length limit.
- The recorded sound is now NOT adjusted in volume.
- Minor corrections at the sound synchronization.
AdvanceMESS Version 0.56.0 2002/01
- Added the MESS target at AdvanceMAME.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.57.1 2002/01
- The default rom and sample directory are now `rom' and `sample' (singular).
- The Linux config directories are now named `$home/.advance' and `$prefix/share/advance'. Rename them manually.
- Fixed the sound snapshot saving.
- Fixed the graphics snapshot saving in Linux.
- Fixed the dir rights in creation in Linux.
- Fixed the support of roms not zipped.
- Fixed the `display_resize' option saving.
- Recompiled the video driver with lower optimizations.
- Readded the autocentering control menu.
- Fixed a SIGSEGV in the mode selection.
- Other minor bugfix.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.57.0 2002/01
- Improved the SMP performance. Now the blit stage is completely done by the second thread without any bitmap copy.
- Added a Console Frame Buffer video driver for Linux.
- Added the `misc_speed' option to control the speed of the game.
- Added the `sound_latency' option to control the size of the sound buffer.
- Added the `advs' utility. A wav/mp3 player.
- Added the `faq.txt' and `tips.txt' files.
- Fixed the `device_video' option. Now works also for `advv' and `advcfg'.
- Fixed the wrong patch command in the build.txt file.
- Added latency measure in the advk, advj and advm utilities.
- Removed the SEAL awe32 driver. The generic SEAL SoundBlaster driver is faster.
- Solved some problems and a crash bug on the mode selection
- Renamed all the `modeline' options in `device_video_modeline' in all the .rc files.
- Solved a bug in the svgaline nv3 driver.
- Fixed the double mouse support for the DOS version.
- Fixed the Allegro sound driver volume.
- Various bugs fixed
AdvanceMAME Version 0.56.2
- Fixed the .dat support in the DOS version.
- Fixed the script support.
- Fixed the name used for `memcard' files.
- Disabled the use of the rgb effects if the mode is palettized
- Added the contrib directory in the source distribution
- Added the TARGET=tiny option in the makefile
AdvanceMAME Version 0.56.1
- General renaming: mame -> advmame mv -> advv cfg -> advcfg mk -> advk
- New utilities: advj - Joystick tester advm - Mouse tester
- A complete Linux/i386 port based on the SVGALIB 1.9.x library.
- A new frameskip computation system.
- A new format of configuration file (now named advmame.rc).
- Limited support of Multi Processor (SMP) architecture for the Linux version. Check the `misc_smp' option.
- New input_analog and input_track option to choice the mapping of the joystick and of the mouse. For example you can use the joystick for the first player and the mouse for the second player.
- Added support for all the Allegro sound drivers. Check the new option `device_sound'.
- Better and simpler video mode choice.
- Better vsync support, now it can be enabled and disabled at runtime.
- A new Makefile system, check the `build.txt' file for the new compilation instructions.
- Updated the safequit.dat database [Filipe Estima].
- Revised the docs [Filipe Estima and Randy Schnedler].
- Compiled with the latest Allegro 3.9.40 library.
- Various bugs fixed.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.56.0.1 (never released)
- Removed a warning in the source
- Solved the bug of the brightness on screen menu
- Added a new safequit.dat database [Filipe Estima]
- Solved a bug with the VBE detection.
- Solved the bug for the detection of the svgaline Rendition driver.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.56.0 2001/11
- Change at the SVGALIB Rage 128/Radeon drivers for the low clocks
AdvanceMAME Version 0.55.2
- On the documentation the suggested value for pclock is now `pclock = 5 - 80'.
- Solved a bug that prevented the read of the vbeline_* options.
- Solved a bug that prevented a lot of games to start (centiped, nibbler, tempest, ...)
- Readded the support for the internal MAME debugger.
- Added the `[config] expand' option to use a bigger screen area when playing vertical games on horizontal monitors.
- Added the MMX implementation for the color conversions 888 -> 332 and 555 -> 332 (mainly used in vector games)
- Added the generation of modes with double size with scanlines.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.55.1
- Added the `[video] pclock' option to control the lower and higher limit of the pixel clock used. YOU MUST ENTER THIS VALUE IN YOUR mame.cfg. The lower value is the lower clock generable by your video board. The higher value is the video bandwidth of your monitor. If don't know these values you can start with `pclock = 5 - 70' which essentially enable any pixel clock needed by AdvanceMAME. (like the previous version)
- Added the `-report' option at the MV utility. You can use this option to create informative bug report on the video drivers.
- Updated with the new SVGALIB 1.9.12. It contains various video driver fix and a new `Rendition V2200' driver.
- Solved a bug on the command line parsing.
- Solved the crash bug for the vector games.
- Better mode generation for the vector games.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.55.0 2001/09
- The `[gamename]' options are now correctly read.
- Renamed the option `video_mode_reset' to `videomodereset'
- The command line boolean options now don't need the argument "yes". You can disable them with the format -noOPTION.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.53.2
- Revised the readme.txt/mame.txt/install.txt docs.
- Added the -cfg option to specify an alternate name of the configuration file.
- Added a new and improved fuzzy game name compare.
- Readded the soundcard=NUMBER options.
- Solved the hidded user interface bug.
- Solved a configuration bug that prevented the vsync option to work.
- Minor bugfix.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.53.1
- Solved the crash bug on exit
- Solved the vsync deadlock bug
- Solved the text mode selection in the mv utility
- The G200/G100 reference clock set to 27MHz
- Added the missing makefile (advance.mak) in the source distribution
- Minor bugfix
AdvanceMAME Version 0.53.0 2001/08
- Major release with BIG changes. This should be considered an alpha version.
- Kept the support for 8 bit modes. You can still use 8 bit modes for games with less than 256 colors without problems. You can also use 8 bit modes for all the other games but you lose in color precision.
- The modeline format is changed. The new format is independent of the video driver and of video board. The modelines can now be exchanged between users.
- Added a new set of video drivers called `svgaline' from the Linux SVGALIB library. These drivers overperform the old `vbeline' drivers. The old drivers are still supported anyway. These drivers are completely independent of the underline VBE BIOS. You don't need the SDD utility anymore.
- Added support for 32 bit depth.
- The sources are now completely independent from the MAMEDOS sources. They stay in a new directory called `advance'. Check the updated `build.txt' to compile.
- The configuration file is now named like the executable. For example "mamepp.exe" checks for "mamepp.cfg".
- Added the `videodepth' option to control the bit depth of the video mode used. The old `depth' option is still present but control only the internal size of the working MAME bitmap.
- Added the command line option `-default' to create a default `mame.cfg' file.
- Removed the `videogenerate=adjustxy' option.
- Removed all the -list* and -verify* options. These will may be added in a future version with an external utility. Only the -listinfo option is maintained.
- Updated the `mv' and `cfg' utility at the new features.
- Updated the `card.txt' file with a complete list of the video board supported.
- The safeexit option now uses the safequit.dat file to check if the exit is safe or not. If the game is in demo mode and no coin is inserted the "Continue/Exit" menu is not shown. [Filipe de V. Estima (Bugfinder), Ian Patterson]
- The `soundcard' option now uses text tag and not numbers. The tags are : auto - Automatic detection sb - Sound Blaster awe32 - Sound Blaster AWE 32 (probably the 'sb' driver is faster) pas - Pro Audio Spectrum gusmax - Gravis Ultrasound Max gus - Gravis Ultrasound wss - Windows Sound System ess - Ensoniq Soundscape
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b16.1
- Added the -quiet option to prevent the startup messages.
- Minor bugfix
- Added support for the Voodoo5 board.
- Added support for other Rage 128 boards.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b16.0 2001/07
- Added the new `scale2x' blit effect. It's now the default when the `Magnify' option is activated.
- Solved the unexpected termination when you exit from the onscreen menu.
- The `safeexit' option now show a confirmation menu.
- Hopefully solved all the "Page Fault" exceptions. You should be able to play also very huge games like garou with only 64 Mb of memory.
- Changed the default keys for the sound recording. LCTRL+ENTER to start, ENTER to stop.
- Updated the contrib/aos section by Nick Bourdo
- Removed the dirty blit support
- Some new 'ATI r128` and `Trident Blade 3D' cards supported.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b15.0 2001/05
- The game aspect ratio is now used if available
- The `vsync' option is now ignored if no modes with the correct frequency rate are available
- Added the new scripts commands `simulate_event(EVENT,TIME)', `event(EVENT)' and simulate_key(KEY,TIME). Check the updated `script.txt' file.
- Added the new option `safeexit=yes'. If enabled to exit you need to keep pressed the ESC key for 3 seconds.
- The `cfg' utility now accepts the format values also in incremental format, not only in the differential format.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b14.3
- Corrected a bug in the video mode generation for the high vertical resolution games with an Arcade/TV Monitor.
- Some change at the `vbe3' driver. Now it logs a lot of details for a better debugging
- Changed the source distribution. Now you must apply two patch. Check the build.txt file.
- Some fix and improvement at the `cfg' utility.
- Added support for saving the volume attenuation in the directory "att". [Rafael Prado Rocchi] You have to create the directory to enable this function.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b14.2
- Removed the `[config] aspect' option. The aspect is 4/3 as default.
- Removed the `[config] video_factor_frequency' option. The game frequency is now matched implicitly.
- Renabled the `[config] scanlines' option. Now video modes are generated and chosen with scanlines if available. Note that you generally need a wide Vclock range. Something like 55-125 Hz.
- Added the `[config] magnify' option to suggest the use of a double resolution.
- Added the `[config] rgb' to suggest the use of a true RGB mode. If you already used the `depth=16' option now you can set it to `depth=auto' and use `rgb=yes' instead.
- Some fix and improvement at the modes generation and choice.
- Some fix and improvement at the `cfg' utility.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b14.1
- Added the configuration utility `cfg.exe' for the first time run.
- Updated the `install.txt' file for the `cfg' utility.
- Added the `[config] videogenerate' option to automatically create perfect video modes. Check the `mame.txt' and `install.txt' files for other info.
- Solved a "Division by Zero" bug caused by the incorrect use of textmode modelines.
- The "bliteffect = auto" option now select the "filter" effect if the game is stretched by a factor equal or greater than 2.
- The `pentium' version now uses the MMX if available.
- Added the `speed' utility to check the memory performance of your video board.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b14.0 2001/04
- Added a new type of effects to simulate the aspect of an Arcade Monitor with a PC monitor. Check the new option "rgbeffect". - triad 3 pixel (normal/strong) - triad 6 pixel (normal/strong) - trial 16 pixel (normal/strong) - scanline 2/3 vertical lines - scanline 2/3 horizontal lines
- General optimization at the blitter. A lot of new MMX code and some slowdown bugs fixed.
- Added the new "Video" menu entry "Show Pipeline". This option show the current Blit Pipeline stages.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b13.0 2001/03
- Solved the throttle problem when the sound is disabled
- Linked with the correct SEAL library. This solve the problem with some PCI Sound Blaster
- Some change at the F5 command (generate video mode) of the `mv' utility
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b12.0 2001/02
- The scripts are terminated correctly also if the program crash.
- Better system recover if the program crash. Now the system should be more stable.
- Solved some "Page Fault" error in systems with low memory. Now you can run any game also with only 64 Mbytes of memory.
- Increased the maximum turbospeed to 30 and turbostartuptime to 180 seconds
- Solved a precision time problem of the scripts. Now they work also if the frame rate is very high (> 1000)
- Now you can use the joystick, the keyboard and the mouse together like the official MAME.
- Added the support for the alpha blending and for the color conversion to any video mode depth. You can use the alpha blending also with 8 and 16 bits video modes. The best speed is with 15 bits video modes. The 32 bit video modes and the blit level rotation are currently unsupported.
- Minor speedup for the case with "depth=16" and a 8 bit video mode.
- Compiled with Allegro WIP 3.9.34 like the current MAME
- Added the new default mode 384x224 mainly for the CPS2 games
- Added the new config option `aspect'. This option control how compute the aspect ratio of the game emulated. The default behavior is different than the previous version. Check the file `mame.txt'
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b11.1
- Corrected the confusion of the "[config] video" and "[script] video" options.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b11.0 2001/01
- Removed the option `turbostartupspeed'. Now it's always at the maximum speed available and at frameskip 11.
- Autoframeskip is automatically enabled when the turbo button is pressed
- Corrected the automatic video mode choice.
- Added the `video_factor_game_stretch' option. Now the 'video_factor_*' options are documented in the 'mame.txt' file. With these options you can control how the auto video mode is chosen. If you get incorrect results try to delete them and restart with the default values.
- Renamed the option `video_factor_strecth' in `video_factor_aspect'.
- Added scripts! You can control any external hardware devices using a like C scripts. See the new script.txt file.
- Added the option `video_mode_reset' to prevent the video mode reset at the emulator exit
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b10.0 2000/12
- Added support for Trident cards using the new video driver of VSyncMAME written by Saka. Use the "vbeline_driver=vbe3" option to revert to the old behavior.
- Minor change at the `trident' driver for 16 bit modes
- Added two new `turbostartupspeed' and `turbostartuptime' options to speed up the game startup.
- Added a new `turbo' button (num pad *) and a new option `turbospeed' to speed up the game play
- Added two new simple effects `filterx' and `filtery'
- Changed the coinage support. Now it works for all the games because it intercepts the coin keys and it doesn't require the explicit driver support.
- Corrected some garbage on video when using artworks
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b9.0 2000/11
- Added the capability to save sound preview. Use `backspace' to start and `enter' to stop the recording. The file is saved in the `snap' directory in the `wav' format. The frequency rate is the value specified with the mame.cfg `samplerate' option. Use the mame.cfg `recordtime' option to limit the maximum record length in seconds.
- Corrected some color palette issues in the `vbe/vbeline' modes.
- Rewritten the choice of the best video mode. Now you can control the process with the new mame.cfg `video_factor_*' options.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b8.0 2000/10
- Recovered from an harddisk crash!
- Halved the dotclock of interlaced modes in the "ati" driver
- Updated the contrib/nick directory with better instructions for newbies and for the use with ArcadeOS
- Added the contrib/prophet directory with example settings for the Princeton AR27T Monitor.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b7.0
- Corrected the aspect ratio of some games with VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_1_2 and ORIENTATION_SWAP_XY attributes.
- Corrected some audit options like -verifyroms,...
- Added the utility `portio' to drive the hardware ports.
- Added the utility `off' to shutdown the PC.
- Corrected a cheat menu bug (MAME bug)
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b6.0
- Corrected the aspect ratio of some vectors games.
- Minor correction at the `vbe3' driver
- Added the option `[config] vsync_adjust'. If it's set to `yes' AND the `vsync' is enabled all the `vbeline' modes are adjusted to match the exact frame rate of the emulated game. This option makes sense only with a PC multisync monitor which can accept a wide range of vertical and horizontal frequencies. Try with :
[config] vsync = yes vsync_adjust = yes
- Solved some bugs in the `r128' driver. Now working.
- Now `mame' doesn't add any default video modes if the list defined in the `mame.cfg' file is empty. You MUST use `mv' to select the video modes available.
- Now the required hclock/vclock specification for a LCD screen are: :[video] :hclock = 0 :vclock = 0
- The default keys for the video mode change at runtime are now `,' (COMMA) and `.' (STOP) for preventing clash with the hotrod settings.
- If the exit is done by the idle timeout the exit code is !=0
- Removed the complete clear of all the video memory for problems with some NeoMagic cards (possible Segmentation fault)
- Added and recomputed a lot of video modelines
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b5.0 2000/08
- Added the video driver `r128' for the ATI Rage 128 boards
- Added the video driver `neomagic' for the NeoMagic boards, very common on laptops
- Updated the video driver `s6326' to the last VSyncMAME 0.37b5 driver.
- Restructured the others video drivers.
If you have problem with these new drivers you can disable them with the option:
[video] vbeline_driver = no
- Added the contrib/xfree directory with some very useful technical documentation of video stuffs
- Changed the display format of the video mode list in `mame'
- Updated a lot the file `mame.txt'
- Added the support for a second mouse imported from OptiMAME by Andy Geez. You can found the custom mouse driver in the contrib/optimous directory.
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b4.0 2000/06
- Added `cirrus', `s3' and `matrox' video drivers
- Added the `-log' option at `mv'
- Added the `-nosound' option at `mv'
- Reinserted the mame option `triplebuffer'. If you want to activate the buffering you must insert the `triplebuffer = yes' option in your mame.cfg. The default is with buffering disabled like the official mame. (auto->yes, missing->no)
- Added some new `vbeline' modes for PAL/NTSC
- Added the resize command with the CTRL+ARROW keys in the `mv' test screen
I am interested in functionality reports with these information: 1) Model of your video board 2) The runtime log file "mv.log" generated with the command "mv -log" when you test (pressing ENTER) all the `vbeline' video modes available. 3) The list of `vbeline' video modes that display incorrectly
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b3.1 (never released)
- Corrected a lot of bugs in the blitters when the rotation and effects are active together (segmentation fault)
- Corrected a bug in the palette conversion from 16 to 8 bit (slow down)
- Corrected a bug in `mm' if no snap was present for the first selected game (blank screen)
- Added the `max' effect also in rgb modes
- Corrected the save function of the `video' option
- Changed the default of the `resize' option from `integer' to `mixed'
- Changed the `mm' savescreen to fullscreen size
- Added the save state for the list of types and groups selected in the `mm' utility
- Corrected the save function of the video options by resolution with a vertical monitor
- Added an internal font in the `mm' utility that now doesn't require the file `mm.fnt'
- Added the automatic creation and updating of the file `info.txt' in the `mm' utility
- Added all the VSyncMAME drivers. See the new option `vbeline_driver' in the `mv.txt' file. Very thanks to Saka!
- Converted the `mame' ati video driver from the original MAME source.
- Added the center command with the ARROW keys in the `mv' test screen
- Minor changes and corrections of the mame menu interface
- Added the `merge disable' option at the `mm' utility
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b3.0 2000/05
- Added to the source distribution the missing files `blitmax.h' and `blitrot.h'
- Removed the file `makefile.dif' from the source distribution, now you can use the standard `mame' Makefile
- Corrected minor bugs in the `Analog Controls' and `Video Config' menu
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b2.2 (never released)
- Corrected the `mm' option merge
- Corrected the size of the vectors game
- Corrected the save function of the bliteffect option
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b2.1 2000/05
- Added to the `mm' utility the ability to save the position of the cursor between runs
- Added to the `mm' utility the options `merge' to select the format of your roms.
- Corrected the bug that prevented the correct loading and saving of the nvram files
- Added a new configuration method based on the resolution of the games. All the `[config]' options in the `mame.cfg' file are now read in three different sections in this order:
|[GAME]||the short game name like [pacman]|
|[RESOLUTION]||the resolution of the game like [244x288] for raster games or [vector] for vector games|
|[config]||the default section|
- Inserted the option `dirty' like the current `mame', use `dirty = no' to disable the dirty buffer.
- Added to the `mm' utility a software key repeat for who use the hotrod console.
- Added a new menu option `Video Config' for selecting at runtime some video options like: video mode, effects, ...
- The video mode for any game is now saved only if requested with the appropriate menu entry.
- Changed the analog input stick behavior, read the section `ANALOG INPUT STICK' in the file `mame.cfg'
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b2.0 2000/05
- Corrected a bug that prevent the selection of the input codes for a specific game
- Corrected the problem of invisible columns on the right for some games. This problem is still presents in the complex blitters (stretch/rotate).
- Corrected a bug in the alignment of the memory of the visible part of the game bitmap.
- Moved and changed the `mm' option "idlestart" from the file mame.cfg to "idle_start" in the file mm.cfg
- Added the `mm' option "idle_move" to the file mm.cfg to realize a basic slide show
- Added the game screen size information in the `mm' utility
- Updated the `mm' documentation file `mm.txt'
- Corrected the gamma modification at runtime
AdvanceMAME Version 0.37b1.0 2000/04
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36r2.2
- Added a warning screen for preventing the use of BIOS modes with low frequency monitors
- Corrected the parsing of fixed value in the "hclock=" option
- Added memory for skiplines and skipcolumns options for the single game
- Other minor changes
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36r2.1
- Corrected the error "Too low virtual x size" with some bogus VBE3 implementation
- Corrected and extended the vbeline modes
- Added the '[video]' option 'vbe_tweak=moderate|aggressive'
- The specifications of '[video]' options 'hclock' and 'vclock' are required
- Added hardware mode grabbing in command F6 in 'mv' for all modes
- Added customization of horizontal/vertical/pixel clock in command F5 in 'mv'
- Added mode number change for vgaline/vbeline in command F7 in 'mv'
- Changed the calibration screen in command F9 in 'mv'
- Changed the list of default video mode in 'mv', added a lot of default vbeline modes
- Documentation update
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36r2.0
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36r1.0 (never released)
- Corrected a bug in the video mode change causing a freeze if the cheat option is active
- Corrected a bug in the vsync code causing a crash at the startup of many games
- Default video mode change keys are now '[' and ']'
- Added a memory for the manually selected video configuration
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36rc2.0 2000/03
- Corrected a bug causing memory corruption in video mode change
- Added absolute tick values in the profiler
- Corrected the sort menu of the 'mm' utility
- Changed the sort order of video modes in the 'mv' utility
- Corrected a bug in vsync code causing (sometimes) a big slowdown if 'frameskip=auto' is active
- Video mode change at runtime disabled if vsync is active, you can still change the video configuration on the same video mode
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36rc1.1 (never released)
- Added a startup check for the presence of a mmx cpu if required
- Corrected a bug in color of the user interface in 16 bit modes causing wrong colors
- Corrected a bug if stretch and filter activated together causing incorrect video output
- Corrected a bug that permits to use unaligned bitmap causing a loss of performance with mmx
- Corrected a bug in vbe 8 bit modes with a palette of 8 bit causing incorrect colors
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36rc1.0 2000/02
- MAME compiled with Allegro WIP3931 (-march=i586), utilities compiled with WIP3928 (smaller)
- Added special blitters for unchained double and palette conversion
- Added new bliteffects for rgb video modes mean - merge lines with the mean colors filter - apply a low pass filter
- MAME compiled with a patched version of SEAL with improved sound quality
- Corrected some minor bugs on the blitrotate system
- Added the Advance Mame logo [Melanie Burns]
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36b16.2 (never released)
- Added basic asm/mmx blit routines for x1,x2 horizontal stretch: the pentiumpro target uses asm routines with mmx instructions the pentium target uses asm routines with shift/swap instructions
- Added cache for input functions at core level
- Utility `mm' flush smartdrv cache before running games
- Added utility `mk'
- Correct bug of partially black screen with video conversion from 8 to 16 bit
- Video option bliteffect= for selecting the image reduction algorithm (when the screeen is too small for the complete image). Modes available :
|no||skip some lines|
|max||plot the lightest pixel (work very well for pacman style games). Avaliable only if the game uses a fixed palette.|
|auto||automatic selection (list based)|
- Added video options blitrotate = auto, automatic selection (list based)
- Added new aos.txt and mame.dat for AOS [Nick Bourdo]
- Video configuration modifiable at runtime, press HOME/END, use the -log option for viewing the list of available video configuration for one game
- Added patch src.dif to apply at mame core sources for compiling
- Added `mame' configuration option "idleexit = SECONDS" for an automatic exit after SECONDS of inactivity
- Added `mm' configuration option "idlestart = SECONDS" for an automatic random start after SECONDS of inactivity
- Documentation changes
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36b16.1 2000/02
- Correct a bug in some blit routines, specifically in blitting in a 8 bit mode with a 16 bit palette
- Reinsert dedicated and faster blitting routines when no rotation is required
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36b16.0 2000/02
- Added rotation at blit level, use the new option "blitrotate = yes" for games that don't rotate correctly (ex. NeoGeo)
- Renamed the option "stretch" to "resize"
- Minor modifications at errorlog
- Minor modifications at mv
- Substituted the option `resize = yes' to `resize = integer'
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36b15.1 2000/01
- Correct the crash if "vsync" is active and no modes available
- Correct bug of missing horizontal lines if "scanline" is active
- Better output in errorlog.txt
- Correct bug in the input system
AdvanceMAME Version 0.36b15.0 2000/01
- Created the history.txt file